~September 7, 2014~
Dear Ones who care for our Children:
I am so excited to be heading up the Sunday School program this year! Most of you know me from church itself and times I have interacted with your children. I thought I would let you know a little more about myself as I will be directing the Sunday school program and teaching your children.
I converted to the Orthodox church over 10 years ago, after a friend brought me to the Orthodox church and gave me Courage to Pray by Met. Anthony Bloom to read. I knew immediately that I had found something I was looking for my entire life. Within a year I was chrismated into the Orthodox church and have never looked back!
Before becoming Orthodox, I worked at a Christian Bible Camp for 6 consecutive summers, working with children ages between 7-16. I have worked with children for over 20 years and am a proud Auntie to 15 nieces and nephews. Many other children are in my life who I have enjoyed caring for in various ways. I have a Masters in Library Science and took two children's classes (storytelling and children's literature). As the director of our bookstore, I have become well acquainted with the excellent Orthodox Christian Children and Teen literature, many of which we have sold through our book kiosk.
I love working with children and seeking God with them. Encouraging children to grow in their awareness of God, the Orthodox faith and the Saints is a great joy to me. In this first year of Sunday school we will be focusing on these three things:
~Growing in our awareness of God in our lives and how we can pray to Him
~Understanding the church year - the Feasts, Fasts and Saint days
~Learning how God and the Faith is personally for us and to understand:
- Why the Fasts help us
- How we can, at any age, celebrate the Feasts
- What a name day means for us personally
- How prayer is something we can all do
The Christian life we live as Orthodox Christians is where true life is found, where joy, peace and love are deeply rooted for each of us. It can be an exciting life, one with Feasts and one with Fasts to give each of us wings in prayer, it is a life to be lived and celebrated! I am excited to be sharing this joy and excitement with each one of your children and welcome any questions you may have.
in Christ's mercy and love,
Mrs. Elizabeth
No comments:
Post a Comment